Fusion Dental Care offers cosmetic dentistry as well as many other services in Raleigh North Carolina. Our goal is to provide the highest level of care to patients of all ages using the latest technology. Fusion offers a relaxed environment, and we offer many dental restoration options for our patients.
One of the more common requests that our patients have raised to our dentists are questions regarding the removal of white spots or stains from their teeth. This article describes the origins of them, treatment options, and ways that you can prevent them from arising from your own smile!
What Causes White Spots In Teeth?
While white spots can emerge from a variety of reasons, some of the more common reasons include:
- Deficiency in the Diet: A diet rich in minerals is essential for dental health. In order to obtain the necessary mineral intake, you must consume foods rich in phosphorus, calcium or magnesium. It should be noted that poor tooth formation can begin during pregnancy, if the mother does not feed properly.
- Fluorosis: Having an excess of fluoride in the teeth can produce white spots and in turn weaken the tooth enamel. This causes calcium formation and, over time, the stain may turn brown.
- Decalcification: It occurs when bacterial plaque and acids decalcify the enamel. This becomes a sign that a tooth decay will appear.
- Bad Dental Hygiene: If you have good dental hygiene you can avoid the appearance of white spots.
How to Treat White Spots on Teeth
The treatment for this dental disorder will depend on the origin of the stain. The alternatives that exist to eliminate or decrease them are the following.
- Dental Microabrasion: It consists of superficially removing the first enamel layers that are defective. If the spots are very light, they can be removed, if they are dark they are hidden. Then a reconstruction can be done to improve dental color and aesthetics.
- Veneers: If the case is more serious, a fine porcelain prosthesis is placed. It adheres to the surface of the tooth to provide a natural and satisfying appearance.
- Tooth Whitening: It helps to hide the spots, but does not eliminate them completely. It can be done at home with products intended for this purpose, but it is best to have a tooth whitening treatment performed by a dentist. This is because if it is not applied properly, the effect may be contrary to what is sought.
- Apply Topical Fluoride: This in the case of people with hypoplasia. Fluoride helps develop enamel and prevent tooth decay.
How to Avoid the Appearance of White Spots?
White spots on teeth are preventable. First of all, you have to have proper dental hygiene and visit the dentist regularly. Other recommendations you should follow include:
- Avoid smoking. Cigarettes have dyes capable of staining teeth a lot.
- Reduce the consumption of beverages and foods that can stain your teeth, such as coffee, tea or red wine.
- Brush your teeth at least twice a day. To do this use whitening toothpastes.
If you have orthodontic appliances, it is essential to maintain good dental hygiene to prevent bacterial plaque from accumulating under the bands.
Contact Fusion Dental Care in Raleigh
Our team at Fusion Dental wants to make sure that our patients are comfortable with whatever treatment they choose. Our skilled staff will answer any questions you may have and ensure you understand all of the details every step of the way. We may even provide molds, x-rays, and photos to help us build you a customized treatment plan.
If you are interested in finding out more about orthodontic appliances in Raleigh, NC, please contact Fusion Dental to schedule your appointment.